Tuesday 29 January 2013

Life in Viborg

On the weekend I moved in with my first host family. I have had the opportunity to watch some Danish television including X Factor in Danish and the Eurovision finals for Denmark. I must say that at this stage, seeing children's shows such as The Smurfs in Danish is quite hilarious. I am also learning to appreciate European Handball, or HĂ„ndbold, which people in Denmark are crazy and very patriotic about; I was even disappointed when Denmark lost to Spain in the finals.

Yesterday was the first day that I caught the bus home from school by myself. The bus driver barely spoke any English, so I was hoping that I was on the right bus! After pressing the button one stop too early and being stared down by the bus driver, I arrived safely at the right stop, and then walked the rest of the way home.


Walking home.

As the temperature has now risen above 0˚C, and is reaching 5˚C during the day, the snow is melting. I was surprised with how quickly the snow melts! After 2 days of the weather being above 0, the snow has almost all gone! While I find it sad that the snow is almost gone, the bright green grass and beautiful scenery that was covered in white is now being revealed. As the snow melts, the ground becomes quite slushy and icy, making it very slippery, which means you have to concentrate to make sure that you don't fall over.


View from my window on Tuesday
View from my window on Monday, after 1 day above 0



















This afternoon I decided to go shopping by myself on the way home from school, to buy some things that I needed and some sports clothes, ready for my first Sport lesson tomorrow. I walked the short walk from school to the shopping centre, got what I needed and caught the bus home. It felt great to be able to do this by myself, there was a feeling of true independence and freedom navigating my way through the streets of a foreign country and shopping in a different language.

2 comments:

  1. I feel sad the snow is now melting as I know how much you were loving it, but then also excited to see photo's of what lies beneath the white icy flakes! x

    ReplyDelete