Friday 25 January 2013

Sne- Snow.

I have survived my first week of school in Denmark! It was very tiring, but has been a great experience so far and I have met so many great people. I have even started to pick up a few phrases and words in Danish (very basic of course), and my classmates often get a laugh when I struggle to pronounce some things that they teach me! Such as the word 'rød', which is the colour red, and to me the pronunciation sounds almost like a frog croaking.


This afternoon I decided to go for a walk around the neighbourhood by myself, do a bit of exploring and mostly to play in the snow! I began by walking to a nearby park, where the swing sets are all covered in snow and ice. I couldn't resist the opportunity, and had a bit of a swing, kicking the snow each time my feet neared the ground.




















I continued my walk down the street and found a path that led towards the lake. There were boats in the lake, that were now of course stuck, as the entire lake is frozen. I have heard that sometimes the council will measure the depth of the ice, and put signs up telling people that they can skate on it; I am hoping that they do this! In some parts you can see through the ice and see that the lake is frozen solid right to the bottom, other parts are covered in snow.



In Denmark, there are a lot of roads and trails for pedestrians and cyclists. I walked along one that is called Sønæsvej, which follows the edge of the lake towards the centre of Viborg. It is a beautiful sight, walking along the snow covered trail, the branches from the bare leafless trees stretching over to form an intricate canopy above, small birds chirping as they jump from branch to branch, the occasional backyard occupied by children playing in the snow, lone joggers or mothers jogging with prams pass every now and then red-faced with their breath forming clouds, small streams have turned to ice and are covered in snow and brown leaves from the trees, small plants and bushes have snow sitting on their leaves very closely resembling cotton wool; it feels like something from a fairytale or a movie.




















On the way home, I couldn't help but to play in the snow a bit. Walking across expanses of smooth untouched snow, running in the snow, kicking it around, picking it up and just playing with it in general. To any one observing, I must have looked like a little kid, but I really don't care. Being from Australia and never really experiencing anything like this, playing in the snow whilst it is -6°C is truly an exhilarating and magical feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment