Saturday 2 February 2013

Time Flies!

The last week has flown by so fast, and has been quite tiring! It was my first full week of school here and I also began my lessons in Danish at a language school.

School is going well, I am getting to know the people in my class better and even being able to find my own way around the school without getting lost. In most classes I don't understand what the teacher is talking about as it is all in Danish, so the people in my class translate a little to give me a general idea which is good, then I just do something else on my laptop like translate or practice some Danish. In English class I don't have this problem of course, although the teacher does speak Danish to explain some things! I had my first PE lesson this week, which was a session of body weight exercises in a large gym room with music playing pretty loud through the sound system, safe to say if PE in Australia was like this I certainly wouldn't have 'forgotten my uniform' so often.

I attend Danish language lessons 2 nights a week, for 2.5 hours each. My class at the language school is really nice, there is even another exchange student from Australia that goes to my school in the class. As part of the program, we have each borrowed out a simple book in Danish that we are to translate, practice reading and learn the words from. My book is called 'En Tyv' which means 'a thief', so far it is about a little girl who wants a puppy. One of the girls in my class said that her 9 year old sister is actually reading the same book at school. That is kind of funny, especially considering the fact that I bet her 9 year old sister can read it better than I can at this stage.



Learning another language is difficult, especially Danish! But I am so glad that both the people at school and my host family are speaking English to me when I need and helping me with my Danish. We even have sticky notes with the name in Danish stuck on different things around the house and I find myself learning new words and phrases everyday. 



Yesterday (Friday) we were sitting in class, and someone looked out the window and saw that it was snowing! I was quite happy about this, much to the rest of my class' amusement as they complained about it. So after school I had to catch the bus and walk home through the snow. Using an umbrella for snow was quite a different experience!

 
Today I went to gym with my host sister Natalie. The gym here is huge and I can't wait to join in a few weeks when we get back from Winter Vacation.

This week I have an introduction camp with all of the other Rotary exchange students here in Denmark. It is planned during the same week that all of the assessment is due at school, as I don't have to do any of it, which is the best feeling! I am really looking forward to meeting so many people from different countries and spending the week with them. I am leaving the camp a couple of days early as I am going on a skiing holiday to Austria with my host family!!! I am so excited for this!

2 comments:

  1. I am appreciating your love for the snow, it is a photographers dream, every picture is so wonderful & tells it's own story. You are so brave Jayz, shopping, bussing n all on your own! xxx miss'n ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holidaying while everyone is doing assessment... "winner!!" Xoxox

    ReplyDelete