Sunday 21 April 2013

Rainbow Panoramas & Lamingtons- Week #12 & #13

On Tuesday afternoon I visited the Art Museum, ARoS, in Århus with the president of my host Rotary Club, Ole. He has been strongly involved in the museum and its creation, so was very happy to show me all that it has to offer.

The museum is filled with artwork not only from Denmark, but from all around the world; including modern, traditional and everything in between. Some of the art work was quite extravagant, such as a giant statue (5m tall and weighing 500kg) of a boy crouching down, which is called 'Boy'. It is actually created by an Australian artist, looking so life like even with the detail of wrinkles and veins under the skin. Or a piece by an artist called 'Kapoor', which is a white room that has a cannon pointed at one corner, shooting red plasticine/clay every half hour. There was an entire white room, designed by the artist Yves Klein, which had very simple pieces of art carefully positioned, all of them painted a very vibrant blue colour. Most of the other artwork in the museum was a combination of traditional with beautiful paintings of the Danish landscape, many creative pieces of modern art and entire rooms that were designed as a piece of art.

  

What I found to be the most impressive piece of artwork in the museum, was located on top of the building. It is called 'Your Rainbow Panorama' and is a walkway/loop that sits on top of the building. You enter it through stairs from below, then walk around through the loop. The walls of the walkway are all see-through, and coloured to match the colour spectrum of a rainbow. So as you walk around, you can see an incredible birds eye, panoramic view of the city of Århus, in different colours. I'm not sure if it was just a feeling, or actually a planned effect, but it felt substantially warmer while walking in the yellow and orange section than it was walking in the blue and purple section. The views from the Rainbow Panorama were breath-taking and walking through the rainbow was such a great feeling.




At the end of the afternoon, after seeing all their was to see. We finished the day with a hot chocolate and coffee, with a delicious slice of fruit tart, from the cafe in the museum. Ole even gave me a book about the museum.



On Wednesday evening, we had a special kind of Rotary meeting, called a 'Fireplace Meeting', which means that the members of the club divide into small groups and have meetings in the house of various members, to discuss the future of the club. We ate delicious food, while they spoke about different places the club could visit, events and fundraisers, as well as many other things.  It was great to hear about some of the things that will be happening.

This week, my class (along with most other second year classes), have been working on an assignment called the AT. Once each term, they do a big assignment that combines 2 subjects, where they spend every lesson in one week working on it. This term was combining English and Psychology, so I was able to do the task and write it in English. Usually they complete the assignment in groups of 3 or 4, but because I was doing mine in English while the others wrote in Danish, I could work by myself. The topic was 'disasters', so I chose to write mine about Titanic.

On Friday night, my school hosted a party. Before the party I went to a girl from my class, Anna's room in the dorms (my school also has dorms where people can live on campus) along with a few other girls from my class, Anne, Kristina and Emilie H. Overall, I had a fun night with my classmates

  

On the weekend, Natalie and I decided to make the Australian cake/slice, Lamingtons. As Natalie was an exchange student in Australia a few years ago, she remembered them, so was happy getting the chance to make them again. Of course, the process of coating the pieces of cake in chocolate and coconut got a bit messy, with chocolate all over our hands. But I was very happy with the end product! We served the Lamingtons for dessert; I placed little Australian Flag toothpicks in them for decoration and explained the history of them to my host family, about how they originate from the same part of Australia that I am from. They tasted delicious, and my host family really enjoyed them.

                   



On Thursday afternoon, I visited the office of Christian, a Rotarian from the club, who is actually part of my 4th host family. He works in a company called Interreg, who organise the funding for projects in the EU (European Union), in the North Sea Region, including Denmark, Northern Germany, Belgium, the Netherlands, Sweden, England, Scotland and Norway. It was interesting to hear about the EU, and to meet the people in his office that come from so many different countries.

On Friday, I had no classes at school, so I was able to spend the day packing, ready to move in with my second host family on Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment