Monday 4 March 2013

My Birthday/ Min Fødselsdag

This year my birthday was special for more than one reason, I turned 18 and spent it in Denmark!

My birthday officially started at 3pm on Friday here, because at that moment I turned 18 in Australia. So I began getting birthday wishes, even though technically where I am I was still 17. After school I went to a friend from my class, Emilie T's place, with a few other girls from my class, Emilie A & Charlotte T, to get ready together for the school Karnebal (Carnival) party. I am going to use the first letter of last names, there are a lot of people with the same names here! It was a fun afternoon, listening to music, eating massive slices of pizza and getting ready together. 

   
  

The school party had the theme of 'Karnebal' which meant that everyone had to dress up, so we all were wearing costumes. I wore a sparkly dress, long black gloves, a feather boa and curled my hair; kind of went for the movie star/ 1920s girl look. Later, most of the rest of our class came over for the 'pre-party', which is something Danish teenagers do for almost every party they go to. At around 9pm, we all caught a bus that we had hired, into town to the school. It felt strange at first going out, all dressed up, then putting my big puffy jacket on!

When we arrived at school, we got our tickets/wristbands and handed in our bags and jackets to be looked after for the night. The night was so much fun, meeting new people, having fun with the people I already knew, dancing, laughing, enjoying the loud music, seeing all of the costumes and seeing people drinking at school while the teachers walk past barely noticing or paying attention. It was such a different experience going to a party at school, because in Australia that is something we definitely don't do! There were around 400 people at the party, so the dancefloor was quite crowded at some parts of the night, but it was a lot of fun, the Danish teenagers really get into their dancing!




















At midnight, I officially turned 18. It was so exciting, I was with Charlotte M (from Honduras) and a few other girls, we started jumping around, hugging, dancing and cheering, then a few girls from my class sang me happy birthday, in the middle of the dancefloor. The party ended at 1am and my host mum came and picked me up from the school.
First photo as an 18 year old! With Charlotte M
In the morning, I was woken up by my host family as they came into my room singing the Danish version of happy birthday, carrying the Danish flag, chocolate coated strawberries and glasses of champagne. I opened my cards and packages from Australia first, then from my host family. I was so excited to receive tickets to go and see the Danish ballet perform Romeo & Juliet in Copenhagen in April with my host mother and sisters! After opening presents, eating chocolate coated strawberries and having some champagne in bed, we went and had a lovely breakfast. The breakfast included fresh fruit, bread and Danish pastries! After this, we all went back to bed for a bit more of a sleep in. Later in the day I went shopping for a bit in town with my host mother and sisters. Then I cooked a quiche for lunch. The rest of the afternoon we just spent relaxing, and watching the movie, New Years Eve with my host sisters.

  












That evening, my host grandparents ( Bedstemor & Bedstefar) came over to share my birthday dinner with us. We had chicken parmigiana and a creamy pasta dish that I had chosen. Then for dessert we had a white chocolate mud cake that my host mother had made! The food was delicious and it was a great evening!

 
















 My family in Australia had also been celebrating my birthday by baking cakes and wishing me a happy birthday!

Left- My Uncle, Aunt & Nana, Right- My parents & brothers


On Sunday, I skyped my family in Australia for the first time since arriving in Denmark. It was great to see them & hear them wish me a happy birthday. My little brother Bryson was also very excited to tell me some new jokes of his and to pull faces in the webcam! 


On Sunday afternoon I went to my counsellor Alice's house to have a birthday afternoon tea with her and her family, my Rotary protection officer and his wife, as well as my second host family the Dam Larsens. It was a wonderful afternoon with hot chocolate and cakes! I was given a sports bag, a Danish football supporter shirt and some products from the Body Shop that smell amazing!

I am so grateful to everyone, from Australia, Denmark and other places around the world that all helped to make my birthday very special.

1 comment: